Find information about commencement and discover some of our past commencement speakers.
The Department of Communication's December 2021 commencement ceremony is currently planned for Wednesday, December 22, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. in the Dekelboum Concert Hall of the Clarice Smith Performing Arts Center. More information will be posted as we get closer to the event. For information on the campus-wide ceremony, please see the University's commencement website.
All campus events are contingent on evolving COVID-19 conditions and guidelines from the Prince George's County health department. Hosting successful in-person commencement ceremonies will depend on everyone doing their part, and remaining diligent in following our guidelines.
The Department of Communication wishes all of our graduates the best.
Past Commencement Speakers
- The Honorable Anthony Brown, Lt. Governor of Maryland
- Tiffany Boykin, J.D., Dean, Student Engagement, Anne Arundel Community College
- Steven Drake, Steven Drake Associates, L.L.C. (speech)
- The Honorable Donna Edwards, U.S. Representative, MD-4
- Evan Glass, At-Large Member, Montgomery County Council (2018 Winter Commencement Video)
- Cary Hatch, CEO, MDB Communications
- Lindsay F. Hayes, Redpath Writing
- Barbara Jacoby, Senior Consultant, Do Good Institute (video of commencement ceremony)
- William “Brit” Kirwan, chancellor, University of Maryland system
- David Maraniss, author and journalist
- Charles Moose, Chief of Police, Montgomery County, Maryland
- Major General Mark Rosenker, Director of the White House Military Office
- Ambassador Dennis Ross
- Roy Schwartz, Co-Founder, Axios (video of the commencement ceremonies)
- Andrew J. Sherman, Partner, Jones Day (speech)
- Chad Steele, Vice President of Public Relations, Baltimore Ravens
- The Honorable Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, Lt. Governor of Maryland
- Joshua Wood, J.D., Loyola University School of Law
- Dale Timothy White, Reporter, Anchor and Producer (speech)
Main Campus Ceremony
For information on the main campus ceremony, please see the University’s commencement website.